Auto accidents and the resulting injuries and fatalities are an ongoing problem in New York and across the nation. Given the frequency with which these accidents occur, researchers are tasked with analyzing and formulating strategies to reduce them. Part of that is accruing accident statistics.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2018, more than 36,000 fatalities were caused by motor vehicle accidents in the United States. That was a 2% reduction from 2017, in which 913 fewer people lost their lives. Despite that improvement, there was an increase in cyclist and pedestrian deaths. Auto accident fatalities had been static since 2009. By 2015, they began rising again.
In more positive news, the number of registered cars and trucks on the roadways was higher than 268 million in 2017, but there was a 3% decline in deaths per 100 million miles. Unfortunately, the pedestrian and cyclist fatality statistics were the worst they had been since 1990. Nearly 6,300 pedestrians were killed in auto accidents, which represented a 3% increase over 2017. A total of 857 cyclists were killed, a 6% increase.
Older people were more vulnerable to getting into a fatal auto accident. Individuals who were at least 65 had a 35% increase in fatal collisions in 2018 when compared to 2009. For people aged 16 to 24, there was a 9% reduction, and for 25 to 44-year-olds, it rose by 15%. People 45 to 64 saw a 17% increase. So far in 2019, there were nearly 600 fewer road deaths than the same juncture in 2018. Research is useful in myriad ways with auto accidents and their aftermath. This includes assisting those who are seeking compensation in a legal filing. A law firm experienced in personal injury claims may be able to help.